Sunday, January 16, 2011

The New Year's Resolution: The Year of Champagne

First off, Happy New Years everyone! New Years is such a big deal for Korean families, much bigger than Christmas. We used to see all the relatives. Bow. Say, "May the New Years bring you luck and fortune." Then the relatives gave us money! =) I'm older now, so there's no more money. Soon, I think I'll be having to dish out the dosh. But as a student, I make nothing. =(

New Years is a great time, especially if you had a rough year. From an objective standpoint, I had a very easy year. I'm not in Africa or North Korea struggling to make money or eat or worrying about what tomorrow may bring. No. From that vantage point, I'm a privileged guy, who goes to a privileged school, who has a privileged life. But from a relative standpoint, if you stood in my shoes, it was a hard year. I was transitioning from having a pleasant, French-like life style in New Zealand to going into something that was more of a military program. I don't think that's an exaggeration. 14 hour days, everyday. Being with the same people. Being crushed of my spirit. I was disappointed in some of my results. I hated being by myself, studying such long hours. I had a huge fight with my brother. In New Zealand, we would say, "It wasn't pleasant."

However, the turn of events started coming around October. I had classes I could pick. I had more control. I had more friends, I enjoyed in law school. My performance significantly improved. My family life got better. And best of all, the last few months my mom and I have been cooking together in the kitchen. It's been resulting in some really awesome food. I'm an expert in seafood. She's an expert in soups. So, we made Crab Broth Soup with Rice cakes. Time taken to make 8 hours. Time taken to eat: 10 minutes. MMMM

I made some really cool New Year's resolutions this year. I'm calling it the year of Champagne. In Chinese and Korean culture we have the year of the Pig or Dog or Horse. But this is the Year of Champagne for me.

1. My first and biggest resolution is the 12 Bottles of Champagne Challenge.

That is every month, I need a reason to break open a bottle of champagne to celebrate. And I don't mean, find a reason to drink. No, I would like to hope that there are real achievements made or relationships made or hallmarks made to celebrate.

The first Champagne - To the Beginning of a New Year.

2. I want to achieve a higher level of virtue as a law student. Virtue is a complex concept and word. I think in our English language - it really has lost a lot of its original meaning. For instance, the Virtuoso is a master of his instrument and music. He is virtuous because of his ability to do his work. A knife is virtuous because it cuts with precision. Likewise, being a virtuous human being isn't limited to nobility or morals. No, I think I need to also have virtue in understanding, practicing, and executing the law. Likewise, I also need to be virtuous in its use. Thus, that's my two part goal.

3. It's time for promoting healthier relationships. I admittedly had a lot of conflict last year, mostly with family. (It's normal). But this year, it's not about not having conflict but working to resolve things with wisdom.

4. Re-take up Martial Arts. Hey, already done. This Monday, I started my Israeli martial arts training of Krav Maga. It's a brutal form of martial arts where you learn groin kicks, punches, etc. My knuckles are scarred and bleeding from the training. But it was so fun! Note to self: Continue training.

If I do those things well, then I think I'll feel fulfilled.

Happy New Years.

PS: Note, I changed blogs. I didn't want to subject my readers to all that advertising anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment