Today, I reported the following health status report to reporters who specialize in corruption.
There is something seriously wrong in Baldwin Park. In less than eight days, the City Manager Vijay Singhal, being advised by his City Attorney Joseph Pannone, engaged in 12 violations of the law. As a concerned citizen and an attorney at law, I’ve began making public records request. The City of Baldwin Park has been sued once and found to be in violation of not complying with the Public Records Act.
It was ordered to pay the Silverstein Law Firm approximately $60,000 in attorney fees. Obviously, it hasn’t learned because it is still in continuous violation of the Act under the governance of Chief Executive Vijay Singhal, picture on the left. Read about the violations and the underlying reasons that I’ve made these requests.
1. On August 5, 2013, I received a public record request asking for fourteen more days without giving an explanation. This is in violation of the Procedural Due Process Clause and Govt. Code Section 6253. Therefore, I should have received my records in the ten day timeframe. I have not. Finally, I asked for a specific record. Instead, the City gave me a hundreds (if not a thousand) electronic pages to sift through. That amounts to four violations of law.
2. On August 5, 2013 the Mayor Lozano was in receipt of my email about the violation of law. He said he’d fix it.
3. Later on August 5, 2013, after “fixing” the problem, Singhal’s office engaged in two more violations of law. One, it gave the reason that it needed 14 more days because it was short staffed. This is NOT one of the enumerated exceptions allowed under Govt. Code Section 6253(c). I pointed this out to the politicians and to the City Manager. This now amounts to six violations of law.
4. The City Attorney, Joseph Pannone contacts me about the Public Records Act. Remember; Councillor Marlen Garcia said she'd have her City Attorney contact me. I was less than impressed with him when he engaged in aiding the violation of the Public Records Act and committing libel per se.
The City Attorney refuses to comply within the timeframe. He does not explain to me which exception the City is using to stall its request. In fact, I explained to Attorney Pannone that if they are short staffed they need to hire temporary staff to comply with the law, until a permanent staff could be hired. At the end, he writes an email to me that I was a stalker (which I have never done; therefore, as an agent of the City he has opened the City up to liability under the theory of libel per se). I called a former staff ONCE to ask questions. Stalking requires repetition. Even a common person or law student knows this.
This is another three violations of law. The City has racked up nine violations of law at this point.
5. On August 9, 2013, a staff member receives a letter that her claim was denied because she didn’t meet the statute of limitations. Vijay Singhal intentionally misrepresented the law because under the Govt. Code, a breach of contract claim has a statue of limitations of one year; not six months. (See Myra Smith Letter below). This is the tenth violation of law.
6. On August 13, 2013, I receive my request for records. Unfortunately, Vijay Singhal failed at this too. I requested all documents that reflect leave for the HR Manager’s absences. He provided me a doctored document without any original or underlying document. Even then, my findings show that this HR Manager, who makes $100,000 a year, takes off an excessive number of Mondays and Thursdays. (See bottom of post for proof.) Since City Hall is closed on Friday, the HR Manager is essentially having an excessive number of four day holidays. Must be nice on $100,000. That’s the eleventh violation of law.
7. On August 13, 2013 I made a request for physical viewing of the records. The secretary is absent all week. The City Manager refuses to respond to my emails. That’s the twelfth violation of law.
These violations of law arose from my Public Records Request and the staff's breach of contract. It makes me wonder how many more violations of law have occurred all year around.
These Public Records Requests were made because of the evidence of corruption we have found. I organized the boxing club, comprised mainly of teenagers, to stand up against the City, which was continually cutting our program. We only asked for $1,500 a month. This is what we ended up finding, though:
1. City Manager Vijay Singhal attempted to cut staff hours in violation of Congressional Law, so that staff would not receive Obama Care. (Email Posted at the bottom of the post.)
2. Director of Parks and Recreation, Manuel Carrillo Jr., hasn’t given a number of part time staff a review or a raise in ten years, although he makes $160,000-$180,000.
3. Councillor Marlen Garcia had her daughter (this year) and son (previously) hired at Parks and Recreation, and her children made more pay than my boxing coach, who been working there for fourteen years.
4. The City has a routine practice to send out code enforcement or the police against citizens who speak out against the public officials at City Hall.
5. City Manager Vijay Singhal, Chief Lili Hadsell, and HR Manager Leticia Llara had the Chief of Police (through her lieutenant) call me because I was asking former employees about the corruption in the City in violation of the First Amendment. See http://alchemistcook.blogspot.
6. When I tried to file a complaint against HR Manager Leticia Llara, she called the police and had me arrested (although briefly), again, against my First Amendment Rights. She also pressed the “panic” button, which was supposed to alert the police force to surround the building and have guns pointed at me. Fortunately for me, the button wasn’t working that day.
Something is seriously wrong in Baldwin Park.
On the other hand, I've been very encouraged that people are telling me that my blog reads like a television script and that people want to know what happens next. I don't actually know what's going to happen next. But hey - it all seems rather interesting to me.
Here are some letters you may find interesting that I wrote to the City and the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.
Letter 1 - Letter to City Attorney and City Manager For Intentional Misrepresentation of the Law
The “Boxing Lawyer,” Attorney at Law, and Concerned Citizen
Letter 2 - Letter to San Gabriel Valley Tribune
Email 3 - Evidence that Vijay Singhal and Manuel Carrillo Attempted to Cut Staff Hours with Obama Care
Leticia Llara's Doctored Document on How Much Absences She has - Notice the Number of Mondays and Thursdays She takes Off. Must be nice to do this on $100,000 a year. Note there are 15 absences connected with weekends versus 2 absences that were in the middle of the week. Each day off is not 8 hours but 10 hours! Note, also, this document was a violation of the Public Records Act. I requested ALL documents related to her absences - that includes her pay checks. Essentially, this is metadata, or manipulated data since Vijay Singhal did not provide me with the underlying documents.
To date, I still have not received a full request for my record. So, the City of Baldwin Park is still out of compliance!
If you want to do something, here's a list of people you can write to. Have your choice.
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, monica_garcia@baldwinpark.
Vijay Singhal and Leticia Llara
San Gabriel Valley Tribune
Join the Fight. Share the story. Do what's right!