Thursday, June 12, 2014

In Germany Again

I've made it into Germany, safely.  If that comes as a surprise, yes, I left Baldwin Park and Southern California.  Even lawyers, need breaks.

It's been a long flight.  16 hours to be exact.  I had a 2 hour layover in Charlotte, North Carolina.  Julian was gracious enough to come over to my place at 4am in the morning and drop me off at LAX at 6am.

So far, I haven't slept for 22 hours.  The night before, I only slept three hours, as I was packing up and finishing up my errands.

My whole time traveling to Germany, all I could think about were my cases.  That's probably why I need a break.

Originally, I wasn't going to stay that long in Germany.  At most, I was planning on staying only five or six days.  But, it seems like it's going to be longer now.

My friend Volker wanted to see me and show me his new nephew.  We might go up to the Baltic Sea and visit Leipzig.  It's supposed to be a really nice city.  I know Volker and another guy named Tobi from my days when I lived in New Zealand.  So far, we see each other almost every other year, either in Europe or America.

So, when Volker wanted me around, I cancelled part of my ticket.  I was originally going straight to Bavaria, which is in Southern Germany.  I was going to stay in Southern Germany for a few days and then make my way to the Spanish Canary Islands.

It looks like things are changing now, and I don't really know what's happening.  The main destination is still Morocco, in North Africa, though.

This is my sixth time to Germany in five years.  But, I haven't crossed either the Pacific or the Atlantic in one year and nine months.  So, it was about time for one of my long trips.

Did you know I can understand and read German?  My writing and speaking aren't as good.

I'm gone for five weeks.  To Americans, it seems like a long time, but this is pretty standard for me to do in the summer.  Remember, I went to Cabo last year for about a month too.  You can read about my Cabo days here: The Magic Bus In Cabo

I read the most fantastic article yesterday.  It was on Louis Pasteur's experiment on fermentation.  (Pasteur is more famous for patenting pasteurization of milk and the development of the rabies vaccine.)  It's considered one of the greatest experiments done by man in the last five hundred years.  I was really awed by it.

On the airplane ride, I saw a series of great films, which I haven't done in a long time.  I watched 12 Years A Slave, All the President's Men, Ender's Game, and the second episode of True Detectives.  All, were so great to watch; though, I must say, the first film was rather disturbing.  Really disturbing, actually.

Now, I'm waiting in a guest lobby in Frankfurt.  I'll be taking my bus to Goettingen in an hour and a half.

So, to answer the common FAQs, I get.  Here they are.

1) Who are you traveling with?

By myself.

2) Where are you going to next?

I don't know.  That's the truth.  We'll see.  I just have to finish my trip in Madrid, Spain.


No comments:

Post a Comment