Thursday, June 19, 2014

Partying in Bavaria and the Bavarian Drug Problem

After leaving Tobi, I told my host in Munich, "I need to detox.  That was a wild time with Tobi."

He started laughing.  I think I learned more partying words in the Bavarian dialect than I ever learned before.

Tobi loves to party.  He's really a party animal.  And so, when I asked if I could see his parents, whom I'm fond of very much, he said, "No, Paul.  We party!  We party a lot!"

Keep in mind that this was a Wednesday night, not a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night.  A Wednesday night.

Tobi seems to know everyone in his small city.  In his twenties, he's already made his way up as the general manager of a famous restaurant in the city.  Because there's not much happening in the country city of the Allgaue, (pronounded All-goy), people like this bar and restaurant scene.  Tobi loves meeting new people.  So, with the high traffic of people, Tobi's learned to meet almost every young person in this city.

We had lunch that Wednesday.  Then, he ordered me a bier.  Then I went to visit Tobi at his restaurant in the evening.  He kept offering me drinks, which I refused.

Instead of seeing his parents, we went to a birthday party, of someone he didn't know.  But he knew one of the guests.  See, what I mean, that he knows everyone?

At the birthday party, in a little apartment, the people were so friendly.  They were so much more confident than I usually see Germans.

Furthermore, there were many Turkish, Eastern Europeans, and Russians at the apartment.  Even there, they were so drunk.  

Tobi took me to a club, where we partied until 3am.  It was so packed and full of people that every inch of you body was touched by another warm body.  They were all so young and alive and wanted to be where everything was happening.

There was lights and fog and blasting music and dancing.  The energy was definitely revving high.

I met a nice German girl.  She was very pretty with blonde hair and blue eyes.  She was very flirty with me.  I suppose I could've asked for her number, but I decided that I wasn't ready to start something that wasn't going anywhere.  Also, I wasn't into this European fling flavor of the week that they're all so into.

At one point, the Russian guy - whose birthday it was - grabbed me and asked if I spoke Russian.  I said I could speak some.  And we chatted in Russian.  He was so impressed, he gave me a hug and whispered in my ear, "Later, I will take you to a brothel.  You can have any lady you like - Chinese, Turkish, German.  It's only 50 Euros."

I just laughed.  Then, Tobi took me to the patio - where I met the German girl again.

When we went home, Tobi said that the guys at the birthday party were Turkish gangsters, who smuggle in drugs, weapons, and prostitutes.  They were all apparently high on cocaine.  And, one of the Eastern Europeans hijacks cars in Bavaria and then has them shipped to Ukraine.

Bless Tobi's heart.  The guy loves to party.  So, what does he do for his guest?  Take him to the best parties that he knows of.

In any event, why am I mentioning all this?  Leave it to me to discover the social plagues on my holidays.

This what's happening in Bavaria, and maybe all of Germany.  The Eastern Europeans are poor.  They're like the Latins of our North America.  They come into Bavaria, but they can't get a good job without an education or highly skilled training, both of which are prized in Germany.  But they want a lot of money.  They want a Mercedes or a BMW.

So instead of being happy with the minimum wage that Germany offers them, they've resorted to selling illegal goods: drugs, prostitutes, and weapons.  All three are in high demand in Germany.  So, it's kind of ironic that the same people who won't give the "inferiors" opportunities, are the same people that the "inferiors" take advantage of in more devious ways.

I predict that in five years from now, if it keeps going on this way, that the Bavarian youth will be having a social epidemic.  I also could sense that the German young adults feel alone and are in a bad need of community.  Perhaps, this is the same problem American young adults are facing.

When I came back to Munich, I told Nils, "I need to be cleansed from my time in the Allgaue."

So - we went for a 8 miles run through Munich City.  On our return back, we stopped by the creek, where the lazy people were enjoying the sunshine at 8 pm.  I took off my shirt and jumped into the water.  I told Nils, "Ok, I've been baptized in German water now."

He laughed and said, "Cool."

A pug dog ran up to me.  And licked me.  I said, "I think I feel refreshed now."

I fly to a new country tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment